Eye Exams in Brunswick, Jesup, and St Marys, GA
At Vision Source Family Eye Care, our friendly and experienced optometrists Dr. Ian Buchli and Dr. Glen Knezich provide comprehensive eye exams for children, adults, and seniors. Serving Jesup, St. Marys, and Brunswick GA, we’d be happy to help you and your family maintain optimal vision at any age!
What to Expect on an Eye Exam
A comprehensive eye exam is your opportunity to ask an eye doctor questions about your vision and get clear about your current eye health. Here’s what you can expect during the exam:
- Personal and family history
- Tests of visual acuity to assess how clearly you can see (usually done by reading differently-sized letters on a chart)
- Additional tests of functions like depth perception, color vision, binocular vision, eye muscle movement, peripheral vision, and pupil response to light
Our eye doctor will thoroughly discuss your results. We might also recommend additional tests, like refraction testing to determine which type of prescriptive lens you need to correct vision, or tests to measure the shape of your corneas if you want to be fitted for contact lenses.
Sometimes, we use specialized eye drops that help dilate (open) your pupils; this allows us to see inside your eyes more clearly. Your vision will be temporarily blurry until the effect of the eye drops wears off, so it’s a good idea to arrange a ride home from the doctor’s office if you can!
A typical eye exam takes about 60 to 90 minutes.
3 Benefits of a Routine Eye Exam
Eye exams are important for lifelong eye health—and a lot more! Here are three benefits of routine eye examinations with our St. Marys, Jesup, and Brunswick optometrist staff:
1. Can Detect Vision and Eye Problems Early On
Thanks to advanced techniques and technology, our optometrists can detect and diagnose eye health problems even before symptoms show up. Early diagnosis allows us to implement treatment sooner, which can protect your vision and may slow or prevent disease progression.
2. Ensures Your Treatments Are Up-To-Date
Common conditions we diagnose on eye exams include glaucoma, macular degeneration, cataracts, refractive errors (nearsightedness, farsightedness), diabetic retinopathy, dry eye syndrome, and childhood vision disorders like amblyopia. Routine exams allow us to monitor the progression of these conditions and ensure patients have the right treatments to manage their vision and eye health, including prescription eyewear, medications, and even dietary supplements.
3. May Help Identify Other Underlying Health Conditions
Did you know an optometrist is often the first provider to detect conditions like allergies, diabetes, or high blood pressure? Because whole-body health influences eye health, our Brunswick eye doctors can alert you to hidden health issues and refer you to other specialists as needed.
How Often Should I Have an Eye Exam?
Along with the American Optometric Association (AOA), we recommend the following frequency of eye exams for adults:
- If you’re between 18 and 64 years old, have no vision or eye health complaints, and have a low risk of eye conditions (e.g., no family history and no known risk factors like smoking, diabetes, or history of eye trauma), get a comprehensive eye exam at least every two years
- If you’re 65 or older, have a vision or eye health complaints, or are at risk of eye conditions, get a comprehensive eye exam least every year, or as recommended by your eye doctor
For kids, we and the AOA recommend the following frequency:
- Once between 6 and 12 months old
- At least once between 3 and 5 years old
- Once before entering first grade, and once per year after that through age 17, or as recommended by your child’s eye doctor
Our team at Vision Source Family Eye Care is happy to help you figure out what’s best for you and your loved ones. Don’t hesitate to call us with questions!
Is It Almost Time for Your Next Eye Exam?
If you live near Jesup, Brunswick, or St. Marys GA, our team at Vision Source Family Eye Care would be honored to be a part of your family’s solution to optimal vision and eye health at every age. Schedule an appointment today or call any of our three Georgia locations to get started.